Saltillo Tile Questions
Hello,
I know this forum is mostly about showers and waterproofing, but does anyone in here know anything about Saltillo tile?
I was about to tile my fireplace and I decided to rip up the white floor tile on the hearth because it was cracking. This floor tile was cracking in several places all over the room. So I pulled it up (it came up easily) and found Saltillo tile underneath. So now I'm on a side quest of restoring the Saltillo.
A previous homeowner had just installed tile over it and carpet over other parts of it. I'm pretty sure it's original to the house. Luckily the person who installed the tile over it did not use anything but mortar, so the Saltillo came out mostly unscathed.
My parents have a floor buffer so I borrowed that and used Ecolab and Zep stripper with the black pads. I got most of the old sealer removed. It came up as orange/brown sludge and was really gross. I did other parts and all the grout lines by hand where the buffer couldn't reach. I would've used klean strip but the smell was unbearable.
It's mostly stripped and I think the next step is doing the neutral ph cleaner on it then seal it.
There's not a lot out there on Saltillo, I think because people don't want to give away their secrets.
If anyone knows anything, I would be very grateful. I will attach some pics.









